Back again!

Sorry for the long absence from this blog!  The past month has been quite a month.  The first two weeks were spent finishing a custom painting, housesitting, packing for my trip and going through some crazy stuff at the day job.  But the last two weeks?  I spent them in Hawaii... gorgeous, beautiful, warm and tropical Hawaii.  And it was just what I needed.  :)

I didn't have as many chances to do art related things as I wanted while I was there.  But I did make a point to stop at the Volcano Art Center in Volcano National Park and it was incredible!  Turns out an artist that I greatly admire was having a show there - though I was a couple of weeks early to see her in person - and I discovered several others, too.  You can find their website here and the artist I referred to is Carin Loebel-Fried.  But there's several others I loved, such as Dietrich Varez, Linda Varez, Kathy Long, Linda Rowell Stevens, and more. 

As for myself, I did a few sketches, started a painting and took a bunch of photos.  Right now, one of the sketches is being turned into a linocut, but I think I may also paint it.  Here's a look at the sketch:


Here's a peek at the linocut in progress (though I think I'll end up redoing her in the future.)  I did a test print a little after taking this picture, after I had carved some more,  which helped me to see what needed to be cleaned up:



Here's the painting I started over there.  It's the view from the lanai of my sister's condo in Maui.  I've still got a lot of work to do on this one before it's ready to list:



As you read above, I have started doing linocuts!  I've been wanting to give them a try again for quite some time.  I figured my word this year is Expand, so it's time I did just that and start working on them again.  Plus there's a Pet Portrait painting class going on in town in June and I plan on taking that class.  It's a one week intensive, every night for five nights, from 6:30 to 9:00 pm, at the local art museum.  It's with an artist that I love - Linda Infante Lyons - and have taken several of her classes.  It ties in with a special project I have planned. 

And before I end this post, a quick look at one of the pictures I took in Hawaii.  I miss it there already:



Okay, I'll be back again soon.  I'm planning on posting an entry about the custom order I mentioned earlier.  Until then, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

mv said...

So happy to see you back! And with gorgeous updates too! I'm loving that linocut, it's a very nice expansion. You are doing really well on this year's word! Congratulations! Keep up the good work! :)

I'm looking forward to your updates, and wishing you no repeats of the first part of this crazy month. The better your days, the more art, and the more beauty I get to see! And I LOVE your creations!

Julie Behm said...

Thanks mv! You are too sweet. :) The linocut has been quite an interesting project. I'll be posting a picture of the work in progress soon.

I'm hoping things stay pretty sane for a while, too! I've got so many paintings to finish, including the one for the charity ball. Lots to do!

Unknown said...

Just lovely - new fan here!
Sue

Julie Behm said...

Thank you, Sue!

join the mailing list

Quirky Dame Designs's Fan Box

Followers

Networked Blogs

My Art Fire Shop

My Blog List